Olusegun
Obasanjo, Nigerian's former President on Friday, pledged to support
President Muhammadu Buhari's administration to succeed, saying there is
no alternative to democracy.
He
said this at his Presidential Hilltop residence in Abeokuta when
officials of the National Association of Nigerians Students paid him a
visit.
The
former president, narrated his near death experience under the late
Abacha administration, he recollected that, in 1995, he and some retired
military officers and civilians were jailed for allegedly plotting to
overthrow the administration and released after Abacha’s death in 1998.
He
said, “The alternative to democracy is worse than democracy. I
experienced that. Abacha put me in prison and I was about to be killed.
If it was under democracy (democratic rule) that would not happen.
“I will work for the success of this current dispensation. There is no excuse, because there is no alternative to democracy.
“The alternative to democracy is worse than democracy. I experienced that.
Obasanjo,
added that in the last two and a half months Nigerians had started to
witness a Nigeria of their dreams, regardless the critics against
President Muhammadu Buhari
He noted that the country had headed toward a steep cliff so many times before, but God had not allowed it.


Comments
Post a Comment